Wednesday 25 November 2009

Double Page Spread Draft Article

How far will you go to support your idols?

Middle aged Colin Parry considers Bono as his hero. After buying 14 albums, 47 singles-even a couple of Vinyl LP’s! And after years of dedication, he still checks U2’s fan club homepage daily to make sure he doesn’t miss out on latest gigs and album releases. Colin looks back at his life as the number one fan of U2, and how the band has made him feel so strongly about their music...

Quotes used on page– “I’m even trying to get together a U2 tribute band.”
“Barcelona concert was the highlight of my life.”

Article:
With a cup of tea in hand, and a U2 t shirt on, Colin Parry seems eager to tell me everything he knows and loves about rock legends, U2.
At 42, Colin doesn’t look like he’s going to stop following U2 anytime soon. When I asked him how he considers himself U2’s number one fan, he seemed thrilled to tell me how he’s travelled all over the world to see his idols perform. “I've travelled to see U2 all over the World, I've bought their music since I was a young boy,” Barcelona was one of the many countries Colin has travelled to. He explained the atmosphere there as “indescribable.” “The weather was beautiful, and it was nothing like travelling in a rush to Manchester or whatever to see a band. I made a weekend out of it, sort of like a mini break with 2 of my brothers. It was certainly a highlight of my life.”
“I'm in U2 fan clubs, and I have all their CDs, posters in my room... All sorts. I'm even trying to get together a U2 tribute band.” It was mesmerising seeing just how dedicated a fan can be. Colin explained how his family find his love for U2 “cute”. He told me how his daughter often uses the social networking website, Facebook. “She knows how much I want to do something special to show my love for U2.” Colin’s daughter, Olivia, showed Colin how the social networking website allows you to create group invitations to events such as gigs, which Colin was hoping to do. “Hopefully, fingers crossed, if I manage to get a few gigs together on there, and have people accept their invitations to attend, it will all run smoothly. A few friends of mine know how to play the guitar and drums. They're all fans too, but not as big as me of course. I've leant them a few of my CDs so they can start to learn the music, and hopefully if this all comes off I will sing for the band.”
Later, as we moved to Colin’s lounge, he guided me to his CD collection. “I've got every U2 song possible. I've even got Vinyl LP's... Some of the first albums I bought were Vinyl LP's. I have between 10 and 15 singles on Vinyl too.” I’d never seen anything like it to be honest; Racks and racks of what seemed to be a lifetime of support and love, but I still wanted to know more. I asked Colin what he thought of Bono, an all time legend as I’m sure everyone will agree. “He's a typical showman, with an absolutely great voice. He does so much for charity as well as always entertaining, which is great. He's my hero.” I know myself from obvious history that Bono has been, and I think always will be, involved in charity events such as Live Aid, which raised thousands for countries suffering severe poverty. “He does a lot of work for Africa, and obviously Band Aid and Live Aid, which is just indescribable.”... And extremely generous which no man can deny!
So when exactly did Colin start following this unfaultable band? A question I was dying to find the answer to... “I was probably 14/15, the first song I ever remember buying is called "Tomorrow", I don't know if you're too young to have heard it.” (I am indeed too young, haha! But after hearing such wonderful stories about a band I’m not completely familiar with, I’m certainly going to check it out!)
To end a somewhat entertaining interview I asked my last few questions of the day about what to expect of U2 in the future, and what exactly will they be bringing to our music industry soon? “I know their website says that they're going to be performing at the Glastonbury Festival next year, so I'm hoping to get tickets as soon as they go on sale.” Stunned again I wondered if Colin knew just how expensive festival tickets were, and with a careless smile he replied “Like I said, I'm their number one fan.”
So guys, you think you’re Indie fans? Would you travel the World to follow your rock heroes? ... Will this be YOU in ten years time?

1 comment:

  1. Good, although I think it needs a bit of re-drafting re your youthful indie audience

    ReplyDelete